Music Canada


Join Mailing List

Music Canada


 Music Canada

Frequently Asked Questions

I’m releasing a new album and was told I need an ISRC code; what is that?

The International Standard Recording Code (ISRC) is an international identification system used in uniquely identifying sound recordings and music video recordings. Each code is a unique and permanent identifier for a specific sound recording, and is used in tracking your music by digital music stores, collection societies, and is increasingly becoming a tool in the fight against piracy. For more information on getting an ISRC in Canada, visit

How do I get my music on iTunes and other digital music services?

If you want to get your music on iTunes and other digital music services, it may be easiest to go through an established distributor. There are a number of services that help you get distributed, such as,, or

My band is recording a new album; where can I apply for funding?

FACTOR, The Foundation Assisting Canadian Talent On Recordings (FACTOR) has grant programs for Artists for Sound Recordings, such as the Demo and Commercial Released Single program. Visit for more information.

My band is about to go on tour; where can I apply for funding?

FACTOR, The Foundation Assisting Canadian Talent On Recordings has a Tour Support Program, designed to support domestic and international touring activities by Canadian artists and to contribute to the development of the Canadian music industry both domestically and internationally. Visit for more information.

I have recorded my song; how can I register the copyright?

The Canadian Intellectual Property Office handles registration of copyright in Canada. Visit for more information.

My album has gone Gold in Canada! How do I get it certified?

To be eligible for certification, an artist or their label must submit an application. There is a $75 fee for certification. To receive a copy of our certification Program Guide, please email

I have found my music being distributed without my permission on pirate sites, how can I take them down?

Any unauthorized direct download links to your music can be reported to for our Anti-Piracy department to investigate. As the rights owner of your music, you also have the option of sending a Cease & Desist notice to the website where the infringing files are hosted, requesting such files be removed immediately.

I have found a site that I believe is illegally distributing music; where can I report this?

If you suspect that infringing sound recordings are being offered for sale, please e-mail details to the Music Canada anti-piracy unit at

How can I tell the difference between counterfeit music and genuine releases?

The IFPI has a pocket guide to recognizing pirate products available here.

I’m planning to use music in an election campaign; what are the necessary licenses and permissions that I need to obtain?

Music Canada has developed guidelines to provide clarity for election campaigns regarding which licenses and permissions are generally required, and to ensure that artists are properly and fairly compensated, available here.